Insulate and Save!
Insulate and save!
If you have little or no insulation in your home, up to 40p in every £1 of heat you pay for could be escaping before you feel warm. Loft and cavity wall insulation is a cost-effective way of reducing heating bills. The cost of loft and cavity wall insulation is subsidised by the energy utility companies and in addition to this the Vale of White Horse District Council offers a grant of up to £100 to further reduce the cost. Those who are over the age of 70 or who are in receipt of certain benefits may be entitled to free loft insulation (restrictions apply).
The Energy Saving Trust estimates you can save on up to £115 by installing cavity wall insulation and £150 by installing loft insulation. You can start saving energy the day the insulation is installed, and it will keep saving money for as long as your home is standing.
To save you time finding the best deal, the Vale of White Horse District Council has teamed up with Cocoon. This comparison service offers local residents estimates from at least two approved insulation installers. Plus £50 off the cost and loft insulation and £50 off the cost of cavity wall insulation from the Vale of White Horse District Council. For more information, visit www.cocoonyourhome.co.uk or call 0800 80 48 777.
1. Savings are based on a gas heated three bedroom semi-detached house without any loft insulation. Topping up existing loft insulation to 270mm (10.5 inches) usually saves around £45 a year. Source: Energy Saving Trust, July 2009.
2. Prices are subject to survey. If your property is larger than average for the number of bedrooms, or access is difficult, you may have to pay more than the estimated price. Surveys are FREE of charge and there is absolutely no obligation to proceed with the work if you are unhappy with the installer's final written quotation.
3. Cocoon is a free, independent, comparison service established since 2003. It is being promoted by local authorities across Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire, Berkshire and Oxfordshire and is now available in Hampshire. The service offers callers at least two estimates from reputable professional insulation installers, including any council, government or energy supplier grants or discounts for which you may be eligible. Visit www.cocoonyourhome.co.ukfor details. United Sustainable Energy Agency manages and operates the Cocoon service.
4. USEA works in partnership with local authorities throughout Bucks, Berks, Beds, Herts, Oxon, Hants and the Isle of Wight. USEA was recently awarded a new contract with the Energy Saving Trust to operate an Energy Saving Trust advice centre for the South East. The centre provides impartial energy saving advice to the residents of Bucks, Berks, Oxon, Hants and the Isle of Wight. USEA also offers a free insulation price comparison service called Cocoon.
5. The information contained within this article is correct to the best of our knowledge, but is subject to change. USEA cannot in any way be held legally responsible for any advice given or any work carried out as a result of this information.