Pre School General Information
Please ask our administrator for a copy of the Pre School Starter Pack for comprehensive information about us.
Although you have an allocated key person, you are able to talk to any of our staff confidentially at any time you wish. Parents and staff are asked to sign an agreement in which the confidentiality of families and staff is maintained at all times.
Key Person, Key Groups and the Buddy System
To ensure parents are kept up to date with everything going on and informed about how the children are progressing and developing we allocate you a key person as your first point of contact at pre school to help you keep on top of things! A buddy is also assigned to each child should the key person not be in. We ask parents to let the key person/buddy know how your child is each day, and they will observe and work alongside your child during the day to make sure they are happy and stimulated. We also meet regularly to talk about your child's needs and will input the information during our planning sessions to ensure their needs are met.
The key person will arrange to meet you as often as possible for a formal consultation but please feel free to chat to them at any time.
Your child will be in a 'key group' where their key person will work with the group on a daily basis. They do short activites together and sit together during snack time. Please be assured the children as still able to play with their natural friendship groups but this gives children added opportunity to form relationships with other children. In our experience children are happier and more stimulated when they are familiar with everyone in the group.
Links with Home
- Noticeboard - in the main entrance it's updated each day
- Sharing Diary - For the key person, parent and other childminder/provider to complete daily or weekly
- Parent Consultations - Appointments with your key worker during session hours
- Viewing your child's profile documents and observations - You have access to therse at all times
- Coming in to help - We run a voluntary rota systemin which we ask parents to supply snack 1 day each term and come in
- Topic information - At the end of each term we will send home information about our next topic, and give you ideas of what we will be doing to help your child at home
- End of term feedback sheets - Your key person will send home an informal progress report of little achievements or comments about your child, and then you can return it with anything your child has done at home
- Pre School Library - To encourage children's enjoyment of books we offer a lending library where children can choose a book to take home and read with you
EVERYTHING your child brings into pre school needs to have their name on it. Children sometimes struggle to recognise their own things, especially if they have a new pair of shoes!
Things you need to bring in
Due to exceptionally limited storage facilities we need to you to bring a few things along to us:
- A drawstring bag
- In the bag, a complete set of clothing
- A comforter if needed (i.e. blanket or teddy)
- Indoor shoes - i.e. plimsolls or slippers as the children can manage these really well
- Weather appropriate outdoor clothing. i.e. coat, hat and gloves in cold weather; wellies, raincoats and umbrellas in the rain; sun hat, clothing covering shoulders and a high factor sun screen which we ask you to apply before you come. Boots now sell a 6 hour cream which is ideal. We will ask you to sign a form each day to state that you have applied it so please remember to do it!!
- Any special creams or wipes
- A named water bottle to be kept in your child’s tray so that they have access to water whenever they want.
Please refer to our Personal Care Policy for details regarding changing
- Nappies or pull ups if you are potty training.
- Any special creams or wipes (labelled!). Creams need to have the written instructions that are visible. If you are using a prescribed cream we will need you to complete a medication record. Please refer to our Medication policy for details. If you need any help please talk to your Key Person or Supervisor during your next session
- We do have nappy sacks and a changing mat if needed.
- We carry out regular ‘toilet checks’ for our newer members to avoid those little accidents
Please ensure your child's clothing is easy for them to manage - elasticated waists, zips and velcro! Please don't send your child in their best clothes and try to get them familiar with their own clothing. Label everything!
Angi (member of staff) oversees uniform which is a white polo shirt and jade sweatshirt with the pre school logo on.
The government fund children for 5 sessions each week from the term after their 3rd birthday. We claim your eligible funding from the governement for you. We just need you to complete a form each form. You are able to split your 5 funded sessions between child care providers, so please speak to our administrator about this. Lunch sessions are not part of the funding and will need to be paid for.
Please pay your invoice (termly) promptly to our administrator, or speak to her confidentially if you are having difficulty paying.
It is very rare that we have to deal with behavioural issues. Each term we ask the children to 'make the rules' and tell us why they like pre school. We don't expect angels and wouldn't want them to be! All our staff use 'cause and consequence' technique to handle behaviour and the children quickly understand how their behaviour may be affecting others. Please refer to our policy on behaviour, and if anything does become a problem we will talk to you confidentially.
Holiday and Illness
We try to discourage holidays during term time, however our view is that families spend as much time together as possible and therefore do not refuse holidays during term time. We ask you to fill out a holiday form. Fees are still payable.
Please ring (before 9.15am on a full day and 9.45am on a half day) if your child is poorly and won't be able to attend. It is useful to know what is wrong with your child so we can identify links with other children. If your child falls ill at pre school will be contact you to collect them, or your given contact.
Collecting your children
If your child is going home with someone else that we are familiar with, we need you to let us know, and fill out the 'daily collection book'. If this is a regular collection you will need to fill out 'Permission for another person to collect my child' form. We will not allow your child to leave pre school with anyone not named on your registration form without contacting you.
Please contact our adminstrator for full details on all the Pre School policies. These are reviewed and updated if necessary on a regular basis by the parent group meeting.