TUBNEY WOOD SANDPIT
16th April 2013: Site visit and liaison meeting. The meeting notes will be reported in full shortly. The main items to report are: -
- The footpath at the far side of the sandpit from Oaksmere Road will be re-opened in June 2013
- The dates are still on schedule for a) completion of the quarrying by December 2015 and restoration completed by December 2016.
20th September 2011: Liaison meeting took place
Tubney Wood Liaison Committee
Minutes of Meeting on 18th September 2012 at Appleton Village Hall
Present: Hills Quarry Products Ltd – Andrew Liddle (AL) & Mick Chivers (MC): Appleton with Eaton Parish Council – Claire Salmon (CS): Fyfield and Tubney Parish Council – John Watts (JW): Tubney Wood Preservation Group (TWPG) - Margaret Reading (MR) & John Sear (JS)
1. Apologies: Graham Rose, Adrian Carey
2. Matters Arising from the last Liaison Meeting: Minutes of last meeting (20th September 2011) approved. Repairs to the fencing along the A420 has been carried out.
3. Quarry Update: (AL) gave an update to the operation so far. The application for an extension of time has been granted, giving an end date of 2015 for the infilling operations to cease and 2016 for the restoration to be completed. The current rate of infill will allow this date to be met, but there are market forces present which could have an effect. Earthline have taken control of the old Blue Circle quarry and this has a high requirement for inert material for restoration and Sheehans have just brought on stream their recycling plant designed for washing inert materials to generate secondary aggregates, these changes could divert waste away from Tubney. Infill phases 5 & 6 are nearing completion, leaving only phases 7, 8, 9 & 10 to infill. There has been some over tipping of phases 1 & 4, which will provide some material to fill phases 7 & 9.
4. Restoration & Landscaping: Current infill area is Phase 5 & 6 which is nearing completion. It is hoped the sub-soil and top-soil can be placed this year and this will also facilitate the re-installation of the footpath. Infill phases 2, 3 & 4 have been seeded and will be maintained for the aftercare period. The planting of the trees over the old site area have taken well with a good success rate.
5. Planning Matters: There was no representation from OCC to make comment.
6. Future Development: No items raised.
7. Any Other Business: (MR) asked whether, before the next liaison meeting, a site visit would be useful for the committee. It was agreed that a site tour would be organised at 3:00 on the day of the meeting. (CS) asked for a reminder for the next meeting to be sent out in January.
8. Next meeting of this committee: 16th April 2013 with a site meeting commencing at 3:00
27th August 2011: The next liason meeting is to be held on Monday 19th September 2011 in the Appleton Village Hall Committee Room. the previous Liaison meeting was held on Tuesday 7th September 2010 together with a site visit.
8th April 2010: Tubney Wood Preservation Group (TWPG) new Chairman: After a six-year "retirement", Graham Rose has been reinstated as chairman of the Tubney Wood Preservation Group (TWPG), an organisation that was first set up in 1989 when the Sandpit was first muted. Graham said: "With the prospect of the final stages of extraction and the restoration programme becoming a reality, I feet passionate about seeing this project through to its completion. Others who are in the TWPG are villagers Margaret Reading, Nick Hester, John Sear and Parish Councilor Claire Salmon: John Watts, chairman of the Fyfield and Tubney Parish Council is also a member - as he has been since the formation of TWPG." Graham met the Oxfordshire County Council Minerals Officer on Friday 16th April 2010 and the notes of the meeting are shown in a sub-menu.
In March 1988 Hills Aggregates of Swindon applied for planning permission to quarry sand at Tubney Woods in the area of (what used to be!) woodland adjacent to the A420 and Oaksmere Road. Villagers formed the Tubney Wood Preservation Group (TWPG), which represents the local Parish Councils in communications with the Oxfordshire County Council and at a subsequent Public Inquiry held in 1989.
The Government Inspector concluded in July 1989 that although the application should be granted there should be a number of operating conditions. One of the original conditions for the first area to be quarried was that extraction should cease by 10th July 2007 and restoration should be completed by 10th July 2009. Further extensions were granted and the sandpit is being restored to its original contours by inert landfill material and the end of extraction is planned to be ended by 31st December 2011 and for completion to restoration by 31st December 2012. However: at a liaison meeting attended by Oxfordshire County Council, Hills, Appleton-with-Eaton & Fyfield & Tubney Parish Councils and nearest residents which was held in January 2010, Hills advised that, due to the economic climate, both landfill and the demand for sand are both at lower levels than anticipated and warned of the likelihood they will seek time extensions in the near future. The decision to seek extensions will probably be towards the end of the year 2010.
In the early 1999 Hills applied for and were granted a Waste Transfer and Recycling Station: Hills has advised they will NOT now be putting such a station on site.
In late 1991 Hills commenced sale of sand from the site. In 2001 and 2003 successful applications to extend the quarry were made and for these extension areas they will have to complete operations by 2012.
TWPG continues to monitor the activities and attends liaison meetings that are held from time to time. Graham Rose currently chairs the TWPG and he can be contacted by email on firstname.lastname@example.org. Other members of the group are John Watts, Chairman of the Fyfield and Tubney Parish Council, and residents of Appleton Claire Salmon, Nick Hester, Margaret Reading and John Sear.
In case contact with personnel at the Sandpit is required the details are: - Hills Quarry Products Limited Tubney Wood Quarry Oaksmere Road Appleton, Oxfordshire OX13 5QU Tel: 01865 390595 Fax: 01865 390595 And further details can be found on: Hills Group Website